My son never ceases to amaze me. He managed to taking something that I have been dreading for years, and turn it into almost the easiest thing we have faced as parents. Mason was addicted to his "Dapada" and I just knew that when the time came to take it away, it would be horrible, and that is why I kept putting it off. The thought that he would give it up on his own never even occurred to me. It was going to be bad, really bad. Well I admit it, I was wrong.
The night after his birthday party, he was laying down to go to bed. And all of the sudden he sat up and said "Mama, I am all done with my dapadas, I am going to go throw them in the trash can outside." I'm pretty sure I am almost fainted. So we went to get Daddy, and the three of us marched to the trash can. Mason threw half of his dapadas in there with a smile of his face. Shocked. We kept half because I was just sure he wasn't really done, and I wanted to have them when he woke up at 2 am that night screaming for them. Well once again, wrong, he slept all night long. So the next day off we went to the lake and through the rest of the dapadas into Lake Austin.
So how did Mason come to this decision? Well he explained his logic to us. We have been telling him for at least a year now that the dapadas were bad for his teeth. Well apparently he took that to mean that they would make his teeth fall out. And there is an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba about the Tooth Fairy and how after your teeth fall out she sneaks into your room and takes your teeth. So Mason, very scared of creatures coming into his room (the Easter Bunny), decided that if he gave up his dapadas then his teeth won't fall out, and then the Tooth Fairy won't need to sneak into his room ever. Thank you Yo Gabba Gabba. I know, I know, Mason's teeth are going to fall out eventually anyway when he starts losing his baby teeth. But I figure we have at least three years until that starts to happen, and hopefully all this will be long forgotten by that time.
Today marks one week without any dapadas, and he has been fine. My big boy!
No comments:
Post a Comment